Just a little ole working gal, who loves food

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Huevos Rancheros!

So what is with this weather lately? Rain for 5 days straight? This weather does not motivate me to do anything...include cook anything complicated! Hence the eggs for dinner last night! However, I did jazz these babies up with my rendition of Huevos Rancheros! Following the step by step instructions I also included my recipes for Black beans and Mexican Rice. I didn't make them for this...mostly because I was lazy, so I bought...GASP...Prepacked Mexican, sodium filled rice and canned re-fried black beans. Not my best work!
In a large sauce pan, drizzle some canola oil and pop a few eggs in there. I bought these Extra large eggs the other day and they all have 2 yolks in them...hello cholesterol!
After a few minutes flip the eggs
And pour a little of your favourite salsa over the eggs
Top with cheddar cheese, or monteray jack..whatever floats your boat!
While the cheese is melting on the eggs prepare your tortillas. Spread some Mexican rice on them
Then add some refried beans...or black beans like I did
And top it with the eggs
Throw the eggs under the broiler to melt the cheese a little more and to crisp up the tortilla
Top with Green onion, sour cream and chopped avocado.
So Good!

Mexican Black Bean Recipe:

In a sauce pan add 1 can RINSED black beans with 1/2 chopped onion, 1 chopped seeded jalapeno, 1 tsp Cumin and 1/2 cup chicken broth. Once it is up to a boil mash the beans with a potato masher and continue to cook until all the liquid is absorbed stirring occasionally. Voila!

Mexican Rice Recipe:

In a cast iron pan saute1/2 cup long grain rice with 1 tbsp olive oil, and 1 minced onion  on high. Once the rice is starting to release its starches (starts crackling) add 1 large can crushed tomato's. Be careful not to splatter the tomato everywhere...i usually take the pan off the heat to add this. Season with Salt, Pepper, Chili Powder, Cumin and 1 tbsp Brown Sugar. Cook stirring occasionally for about 25 minutes or until Rice is al dente. You can add some water if the rice isn't cooked once all the tomato juices are absorbed.

No comments:

Post a Comment