Just a little ole working gal, who loves food

Monday, September 30, 2013

Green Unripened Tomato Salsa!

I have a TONNE of unripened tomato's still in my garden...and with the temperature slowly dropping I am praying that they start to ripen so I can make tomato sauce or something out of all of them. Then last week..the weatherman predicted 2 nights of frost. I had to save my tomato's. There were so many of them and I couldn't let them all go to waste. So I picked about 50% of them and decided to try my hand at making salsa with them. I used a mix of Heirloom, Roma and hot house tomato's...some completely green and some starting to turn red. But mostly Green tomato's. In the end the salsa was delicious and a great way to use up your end of season tomato's!!!
 
Ingredients
 
About 20-30 Unripened Tomato's, Various kinds and sizes.
2 Large Red Onions, Chopped
2 Red Chili Peppers, Minced
3 Green Peppers, Chopped
5 Garlic Cloves, Minced
1/2 Cup Lemon Juice
1/4 Cup White Vinegar
2 Tbsp Kosher Salt
1 Tbsp Black Pepper
1 Tsp Cayenne Pepper
1 Tsp Chili Powder
1/2 Cup chopped cilantro
 
 
 
 
Wash your tomato's well and pick out the most firm tomato's

Slice off the tops and squeeze all the seeds out.

Chop all the tomato's and place in a large heavy bottomed pot.

Add your onions, peppers and garlic.

Add your vinegar, lemon juice and spices (S&P as well) and cilantro and bring to a boil over medium high heat. Once boiling reduce heat to low and allow to simmer for 1 hour covered.

after simmering is complete, carefully ladle hot salsa into sterilized mason jars. Seal and boil the sealed jars for about 15 minutes. Remove from the boiling water and allow the tops to "pop" while cooling. Your salsa can now be stored at room temperature until ready to serve (Once opened, must be refrigerated!)
This was my first real canning experience and it turned out great!! I want to invest in some real canning equipment (Pot and tongs) for next time though!!! Getting the hot jars out of boiling water was tricky!!

No comments:

Post a Comment